In this database, there are 5 kinds of documents related to costume.
1) The Japanese articles from 1967 to the current issues.
2) The Japanese articles from 1880 to 1945.
3) The foreign language articles from 1930 to 1980.
4) The Japanese books from 1868 to the current publications. Publications in the National Diet Library not specializing in costume from 1868 to 1945, indexed information regarding the mention of costume has been included.
5) Only the indexed information in foreign language publications is in the Minpaku’s library.
It is possible to search for documents by the bibliographical information, keywords, costume concept code, and many other ways.
The National Museum of Ethnology (hereafter called Minpaku), doesn’t own the documents contained in 1), 2) and 4). It can search for them by Webcatplus of the National Institute of Informatics that own these documents.
This database is jointly put together by Kubo laboratory from 1996 (Daimaru laboratory until 1995) in the National Museum of Ethnology, and Takahashi laboratory (until 2014) in the Osaka-Shoin Women's University. The MCD Project does an analysis and a structural design of data.
The current sum total of the data is about 170,000 items.
This database is partially funded by the Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research, which is part of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS).